Monday, April 27, 2009

I feel it calling me...

I have this itching feeling. I get it every once in a while. When the wind is high and the moon hangs a certain way in the sky. I miss being on stage.

Often times, I miss the stage so much it hurts. For so many years it was my life. I didn't do anything else except rehearse and perform, rehearse and perform. Every season, year after year. It was the only thing I knew how to do right! I think it still is.

I remember my very first musical I ever did... Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. My brother, Chris, was Joseph and I was "Mrs. Dan," a wife of one of Joseph's brothers. I got to dance more than i'd ever danced in my entire life. That was the best part. I was only 12 at the time but you probably would have never known it. I look back at pictures and think I look 23. "Joseph" was my first lesson in 'how to behave in theater.' I cried more that summer than I probably had my entire life but it was worth it. Drama is drama!

Once I got to high school I threw myself into the theater scene. I didn't do plays until my junior year but I did the winter musical every single year. Freshman year... I got chorus. Every freshman gets chorus and I've never heard of anything different. Even if you knock every senior out of the park... you get chorus. We did "Hello, Dolly" which I totally hated. I didn't enjoy myself much because I didn't get to do much. I stood around in an itchy dress just dying to get noticed.

Finally, sophomore year, I joined the Chatie Choir and through that I got my voice heard and started to make a name for myself. I had to work extra hard because I didn't have any siblings or parents that the directors knew. Even if a person was awful, the directors still managed to give them a decent role because their parents were known around town or they had "famous" siblings. My sophomore year our musical was "South Pacific." Now, it's not the best show... i'll admit that. The parts are kinda crummy and the music is very repetitive. But, I had the BEST time. I actually got understudy for the lead, Nellie! THIS IS UNHEARD OF! Someone other than a junior or senior even being considered for a lead! Just craziness at SHS! Information got leaked a little later that they actually "wanted" to cast me as the lead but couldn't because of the "rule." I didn't care. A great friend of mine got the part and she totally kicked major butt. I got to be a lead dancer and I LOVED it. Best show of my high school career. There wasn't a ton of pressure and I really connected with the cast.

My junior year came and we did "Brigadoon." Again, I don't think it's a great show and I definitely think you should never see the movie... bad bad bad. My friend and I felt very confident that we would get good parts this year since we had the feeling that we were the "up and comers." As much as I loved the lead part, I really really connected with the supporting female lead, Meg Brockie. She was kinda the town tramp lookin' for love in all the wrong places. I knew after doing my "Meg" audition that I was fit for that role and that "Fiona" just wasn't right for me. I had a pretty good time doing Brigadoon. I had to learn a lot of lines for the first time and also learn an accent. Challenging but very fun! To this day I like looking back and watching my performance from Brigadoon.

Senior year... the big one... the one we had all been waiting for. Since I was in the 8th grade I pulled for the high school to do the same musical... year after year after year. I begged and pleaded with every director that this would be the perfect final musical for our senior class. The talent was there and I could cast the whole thing out perfectly. My DREAM role was the lead, Princess Winifred. I practiced this part for YEARS. I knew every song COLD. Sadly, due to the directors taking a turn for the worse and hating me because of some summertime drama, I did not get my dream part. My big fat mouth cost me that role. I ended up getting cast as a lead, though... Queen Aggravain. She had more lines than any other part but didn't have the spunky personality that I loved about Winifred. The Queen was a mean, cranky woman that didn't want her son to get married. Who would have thought that my favorite musical turned out to be somewhat of an awful experience. Just way too much drama.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I did to two "plays" in high school. Fall play of my junior year was "Fools." SO MUCH FUN! That was a great experience. I didn't have a great part or anything but the cast was awesome and we all had so much fun with such a funny script. Then in the spring of my junior year we did "You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown" which is actually more of a musical. Didn't have a great time doing this... i'll be honest. It was unorganized and the cast just didn't fit. I made a pretty fat Lucy.

In the future I hope to do more "modern" musicals. Lord knows SHS couldn't do anything that wasn't written after 1940. My dream role now is the lead in the AMAZING musical, Spring Awakening. If you haven't heard it... you need to. It's breathtaking. Totally scandalous and fits me like a glove! If Kalamazoo Civic does it someday I may just have to quit my job and find a new one that will work around my show schedule because I HAVE to be in that show.

Well, hope you enjoyed reading all about my life as a theater geek. More to come...

5 comments:

  1. When my sister was in high school...our school did plays that people had actual heard of (Wizard of Oz, Oliver, etc.) But by the time I got up to high school...they did random plays that no one had ever heard of. It was lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wizard of Oz would be fun! My sister-in-law's high school did that her senior year.

    My high school did "Little Women the Musical" this winter and it was actually really good. It was written less than 5 years ago and the music is so amazing. I still go see the high school musicals now just to see what the pool of talent is like. I'm at the point now where I don't know any of the kids at all which is interesting. They did "My Fair Lady" one year and that downright made me want to kill myself. Icky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a bit of a theater geek. I was in a lot of crap and due to my lack of stature I rarely found myself in a lead. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think theater geeks are a unique breed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Graham...does Stacey know the "Grease" story???

    ReplyDelete