Monday, June 8, 2009

Learning To Like It...

I've recently taken up running as a means to feel better about myself and to be more "active." The doctor told me that I need to start watching my weight and start exercising. I've had asthma since I was a child and when my mom went in for an appointment I asked her if she would see if he could give me a script for a new inhaler or if I need to come in since it's been a while since i've needed to use one. Remember... it's been since my junior year of high school that I was actually active. Apparently, the doctor laughed and shook his head when my mom said that I have taken up running. He said he'd look at my charts and I'd need to give his office a call.

Well, I never called his stupid office because I wasn't going to deal with someone that didn't want to deal with me such i'm such a "silly girl" for doing exactly what he told me to do. I've just been running and doing my best. The first week was tough. The second week was tougher. For me, it's all mental. That is where my problem comes in. I just think about how tired I am and how much I hate running. haha. I've always hated running but here I am making myself do it. I even spent $100 on a new pair of running shoes. Actually, my first pair of running shoes. I pretty much love the shoes but I didn't like when my Achilles tendons felt like they were burning like none other. Apparently that happens when you change shoes and your body gets used to them. *shrug*

At the end of the month i'm doing a 5K at Binder Park Zoo. I will be doing a lot of walking still but I think it just might motivate me to get better at running. I just might be crazy for doing all of this....

8 comments:

  1. What kind of shoes did you end up getting?

    I will no be running anytime soon. We have been taking a lot of walks lately so I feel good about that. Having Lucy really motivates me to go on more walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anymore Disney planning going on lately??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't go getting all physically fit on us. It's more fun being lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://saucony.com/ShoeDetails.aspx?gen=f&use=Run&id=1123&rel=1117,1126,1123,1147,1108,1137,1103,1112,1042,1077,1101,1073,1063,1061,1145,1133,1135,1156,1158,1160,1151,1149

    There ya go! Link to my shoes! Don't worry.. my weight hasn't dropped dramatically. Or much really. haha. My man calves are only going to get bigger. I went for the first time a few days ago without my ipod (because it was dead) and actually enjoyed myself. I realize that if I look up at the trees I do better and don't focus on distance.

    I'm actually going to update my Disney blog. Today we are confirming our dining ADRs and can book on the 1st of July. And I want to talk about something new at the WDW resorts that i'm excited about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freddy FredricksonJune 11, 2009 at 7:22 AM

    I hear you. Running is the worst because of the mental aspect. When I run, all I think is "this sucks."

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's true, Freddy! All I think about is how i'd rather be sweating my butt off doing some other physical activity. I've tried running with friends and Matt. Matt was awful... he didn't even wanna speed walk. My friend Andrew said I went too slow. Luckily, my friend Lisa was about my pace but... she lives in Ann Arbor. Maybe i'll grab my friends Lenny and Faye and see how that goes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. let's go running when i come over! ...actually i hate running... i'll casually ride my 1 speed just-for-the-cute-vintage-look bike we both have :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! okay.. deal, Barb! :) You're so funny.

    ReplyDelete