Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Living with Ellie - Week One

This weekend with Ellie went okay.  We had about 16 people over to our house on Saturday so she got to meet a lot of new folks and did really well with everyone.  Our families really seem to enjoy her! 

I tried walking with her but she just wasn't having it.  She kept pulling on the leash or biting it... or me.  I was so upset thinking about it Saturday night that I was in tears.  I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.  It's very frustrating.

Yesterday Matt was telling me about how well she walks for him on the leash.  I didn't totally believe it so Matt suggested we go for a short walk around the block.  We left the house around 7:00 p.m. and headed toward the park by our house.  We encountered an older woman who had a standard poodle.  She told us how much she liked Ellie and how friendly she was.  We let Ellie run free in the park until someone else came with a big german shepard.  At that point we left and walked down the street some more.  I seriously was amazed that after an HOUR of walking around the city with Ellie she was doing so well with minimal problems.  I walked in front of her and Matt.  He would make her stop at intersections and sit.  Which, SHE DID.  I'm seriously still mind blown by how well she behaves for him.  I'm just hoping one of these days she will walk like that for me.

At lunch and at dinner Ellie wouldn't really eat for me.  She would only eat if I hand fed her tiny bits of food.  Something seemed off but I didn't think too much of it until this morning when Matt said Ellie wouldn't poop.  She would squat repeatedly like she had to go but she was straining and barely anything would come out.  As he tried to walk her down the street she would keep stopping to drag her butt on the ground.  She did get a little bit out but then smeared it all over her back side.  Matt thought she needed a bath because she was so gross.  Matt bathed her quickly and I helped dry and brush her before I left for work.  Ellie still couldn't poop even after getting the dry fecal matter off of her ... for lack of a better word... hole. 

After looking up her symptoms I felt really concerned and told Matt that maybe we should take her to the vet.  He tried taking her outside one last time and she still couldn't go.  She even started crying when he brought her back inside.  Off to the vet they went and apparently he was in surgery so he couldn't look at her right then.  They said that he could look at her around 2:00 p.m. so that is when Matt is taking her back. 

Praying that the situation is minor and can be fixed with ease.  I feel so bad for her.  You can tell she is uncomfortable.  A little 3.5 pound puppy can only hold so much!

1 comment:

  1. We had very similar problems with Lucy in the past. Last year, she would try to go and she would let out the worst yelps. They pretty much sounded like screams. I'll spare you any gory details though.

    Hopefully the vet will be able to help her out. Poor thing.

    Lucy was under anesthesia yesterday so I think her bowels may be giving her trouble now too. Ugh.

    It's very stressful and it sucks to watch you dog in pain. :(

    ReplyDelete